Wednesday 18 September 2013

The making of soap- not as boring as you may think.


I've been organising and creating a lot of things recently, mostly my university things which have been packed and repacked a million times. But I have made some progress in tackling the continuously growing pile of bath stuff I have been given as gifts. 



Soap is by far the thing I have most of and since I scattered them all in different bags there are plenty of half used bars. Luckily I found an easy way of adding them all back together and even set it into a heart shape.

  1.  First cut the soap into small pea sized pieces, if the soap is too hard to cut try slicing it with a potato peeler or cheese grater. Because the soap I used was not usual, I had a hard time melting it in the microwave. This made the little balls really hot but didn't really melt any of it. 
  2. I instead warmed the pieces of soap by placing them in a metal bowl above a boiling pan of water on a medium heat.
  3. Then turn off the heat and cover the soap pieces with the boiling water and let it soak for a few minutes, before squeezing the excess water out and putting the rest of the melted soap into a plastic sandwich bag.
  4. Use your fingers through the plastic bag to squash any lumpy bits of soap and merge it all into one large ball.
  5. Before emptying the bag into a mold (I used a heart shaped cookie cutter) and leaving it to set in the fridge for a few hours. 


You can follow me on:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think :)